Do I REALLY NEED Travel Insurance??
We hear it many times when consulting with clients about an important family vacation, a couple’s weekend, a business trip, etc. “Why spend the extra money?” “What if nothing happens, and I don’t use it?” But what IF something does happen? What IS the plan?
From AIG Travel Guard, here are the top 10 reasons why you need travel insurance:
- “It’s 10 p.m. and you and your immediate family arrive at the airport for a connecting flight, only to find that your flight has been cancelled. Who can assist you with finding new flights to get everyone home?”
- “Your bag was lost with your insulin inside. You need help to locate your bag as soon as possible and have your emergency prescription filled. Who do you call?”
- “Your first visit to Europe, and your passport and wallet are stolen. Where do you turn for assistance in obtaining emergency cash, and how will you get your passport replaced?”
- “You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. Who will help coordinate a medical evacuation?”
- “If your sister-in-law becomes seriously ill and you must cancel your trip, what happens to your non-refundable deposits or pre-payments?”
- “You arrive in Jamaica and your luggage doesn’t. If it’s lost, who will help you find it? If it’s delayed who will reimburse you for covered necessities? If it’s stolen, who will reimburse you for its contents?”
- “Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. Who will pay for your non-refundable expenses? Who is able to assist in getting you to your destination?”
- “You’re walking down a street in Rio and twist your ankle. Who is able to assist you in finding an English-speaking physician?”
- “Three weeks before your scheduled arrival, a terrorist incident occurs in the city to which you are planning to visit. Who will reimburse you if you want to cancel your trip?”
- “You are at a beach resort in North Carolina, and you are forced to evacuate due to a hurricane which has made your resort uninhabitable. Who can assist you in being evacuated? Who will reimburse you for your lost vacation investment?”
These questions are answered simply by contacting the 24 hour toll free number for the insurance company to get the help you need as quickly as possible. And, of course, contact your travel agent so they can assist you as well. They always have shortcuts and tips to help you. Please be sure to discuss the coverages of the policy with the insurance company, because each policy does not automatically include “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage and that is very important.
So, do you REALLY NEED travel insurance?? Absolutely!